Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sunday in Uganda! Amazing!

I'm sorry to be so far behind getting these posts done.  I'm afraid I'm letting the business here interfere.

We started our day teaching Sunday school to the children at Canaan's.  My Man Up teammates Eric and Roger chose to teach the "Junior" boys (ages 8-12).  We spent much of the time getting to know them and what they aspire to do when they leave Canaan's.  They also were very interested in what our lives at home were like.  I was so pleased to tell them about my family back home and how they were praying for them every day.  We sang a few songs, and then shared the story of Joseph from the book of Genesis.  It was a great way to demonstrate perseverance as Joseph is a model of forgiveness, toughness, and love.
After Sunday school, we joined the rest of the group in church for Worship.  We arrived to singing and dancing, with full choir on stage.  I can't say for sure how many people were in the church, but it felt crowded.  We only sat for the message, otherwise, it was almost 3 hours of moving in intense worship.  I felt convicted in how I praise Jesus.  That's not to say that we all need to sweat and dance and hollar at the top of our lungs in church every Sunday, but it was the passion I felt in the worship that convicted me.  It was complete surrender to Jesus.  Even the children.  Below is a picture of a young boy during worship.  He was the perfect demonstration of how to worship Jesus with heartfelt intensity. 
 
After church, and a wonderful lunch, we were given a tour of the primary school.  Different in many ways from school here, but from the posters on the walls, it appeared as if the children learn much of the same material as our children. 

We also saw the foundation for the new church.  After that, the afternoon was spent in fellowship with the children.  We played soccer, basketball, shared stories, and I was able to share pictures of my family.  What a blessing to share this time!  It was also during this time that several of the boys wrote their names in my Bible and gave me notes.  I'll treasure these forever. 

We ate a late dinner and then several of us (Mitch, Roger, Jeff, and Pastor Isaac) stayed up late for some great discussion.  Pastor Isaac is a man of great vision.  Once left for dead at the hands of a corrupt Muslim regime, God gave him a command to be a father to the fatherless.  He has followed that command and the fruits of his labor are that now many of the children whom have left Canaan's serve the Lord in similar ways.  It's uncanny how Canaan's mission is so in line with Man Up.  Being a 127 warrior (see James 1:27) is in the blood of the people here.  They live and work for Jesus every day by caring for these precious children.  I love them for that! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment