Thursday, September 27, 2012

Monday 8/23 in Uganda with Home Again Ministries

Monday morning we woke up with quite an agenda.  The Man Up team had sent money ahead to Pastor Isaac to pay for paint to be used to spruce up Canaan's Childrens' Home.  Pastor Isaac wanted to make sure we were with for that purchase, so the team headed with him to buy the paint.  I can't recall what the total amount was, but it was quite an experience for our leader Mitch to negotiate with the hardware store (owned by people from India) in Ugandan schillings to purchase paint and make sure we were getting a fair deal.  It was also quite an experience for us to be "in town" to see the business of the day to day marketplace. 

After the paint was purchased, the team headed to Jinja to meet up with Pastor Andrew of Home again Ministries.  Pastor Andrew has become a good friend of Mitch and has a huge heart for the people of the Karamonjong tribe.  The Karamonjong women relocated to Jinja, but have been shunned and considered outcasts.  They survive by raising small crops, selling beads, and, unfortunately, prostitution.  They are strong people with a huge love for God, but their circumstances are desperate. 

When we arrived, we were greeted with cheers and hugs.  The women and children treated us with songs and skits.  I have to laugh as I recall the younger children making too much noise during the skits, and the women and leaders chased them off.  Two of us, myself and my good friend Justice, went with the children to try and "entertain" them.  They, in fact, entertained us!  They played a few group games (best I could tell the games were versions of duck-duck-goose), and then asked us to lead a game.  We chose Simon Says and luckily it was a hit.  I'm not sure if it was because of my dancing (ugly no matter what country I'm in) or if they actually enjoyed the game.  Nonetheless, we had a great time. 

The children of the Karamonjong Tribe in Jinja, Uganda. 


When we got back together as a group, we pooled some money and bought beads from the women.  They were full of joy that we bought 2 sets of beads from each of the 90 women.  It didn't seem like much, but they don't get enough traffic through their area to sell many beads and it is a very important source of income for them. 

We made our way back to the church for lunch.  I wish I had photos of Mitch on the back of the
boda-boda (motorcycle) with Pastor Andrew driving, but I'll leave it to your imagination that Pastor Andrew isn't very big and Mitch is 6'5" and about 240 lbs.  I know someone has a pic and I'll do my best to find it!  Anyways, as it was everywhere we went, I loved the food. 

After lunch we went back to see the nursery school that Mitch and his wife, Shannon, have been raising money for.  It was beautiful to see and it is ready to go for this fall.  I "borrowed" these pics below from Mitch's blog.  Mitch made a cross for Pastor Andrew to display in the school and presented it to him.  I praise God for the work He has been able to do through Mitch, Shannon, and Pastor Andrew working together.  The young children in this tribe will now have access to education that was previously unavailable. 

School at Home Again Ministries in Jinja, Uganda
Mitch and Pastor Andrew

One of the highlights of the day for me was the dancing and singing we were treated to.  Some of the children have been blessed with opportunity to train in tribal dances from various regions in Uganda.  Their leader hopes these children will be able to use these skills and fine arts training as a "way out" of their current situation.  Below is a video of one of the dances. We found out after the dances were over that the child in the center of the frame is a young girl.  There is apparently a shortage of boys interested in dancing, and so she needs to learn both the male and female parts of the dances.  We also learned that the beautiful smile she showed during the first part of the video is very rare.  Her life circumstances have caused her to be very quiet and often emotionless.  The dance instructor hopes that dancing will assit this child to somehow find happiness.  I pray that God will continue to look down upon this girl with love and that Jesus will sheppard her into His kingdom of faithful believers. 

Video Failed (Actually, it was me who failed in my attempts to upload it.  I'll keep trying) 


We ended our Monday with a boat ride to the source of the Nile River.  It was beautiful scenery.  I learned that Lake Victoria supplies 62% of the water to the Nile, and underground springs supply the other 38%.  I would have guessed it would feel a bit surreal to be standing at the source of the Nile, but given the other emotions and feelings on this trip, it actually felt pretty ordinary.  After dinner, we headed back to Canaan's to catch some shut-eye prior to our busy Tuesday. 

I feel so blessed by each and every day I spent in Africa.  God teaches us so much in so many ways.  I wish I could better put into words how powerful this experience is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment