Saturday, September 29, 2012

Tuesday in Uganda

Tuesday would be a day of travel over land by bus.  We drove, and drove, and drove.  From JinJa to Pallisa is roughly 60 miles.  It took about 3 hours each way.  The point here is that the infrastructure in this country is significantly different than what we enjoy here in the US.  Many of the dirt roads we traveled over would not be considered roads, but rather classified as field trails with poor upkeep.  Nonetheless, our bus driver Abus, got us to our destination safely as always. 

We met with Pastor Samuel in Pallisa.  Pastor Samuel is the son of Pastor Isaac (founder of Canaan's Childrens' Home), so maybe some of his courage was passed to him genetically, but I'm convinced God has given him an extra large dose and instructed him to use it to its full potential.  Samuel and his staff run a Christian school, church, and orphanage in a community that is almost completely Muslim.  He is greatful when a Muslim child enters the school as he views it as an opportunity to share the gospel of Christ and bring someone to Jesus. 

When we arrived, Samuel and his staff had just completed a 7 day crusade for Christianity.  He was instructed by the chief of police to not go forward with the crusade, but in all his bravery, he did it anyways!  He told us it was relatively violence free with "only" rocks and sticks cast at them.  (I can't remember the last time someone threw rocks or sticks at me, but I'm pretty sure I stopped whatever I was doing and ran like a small child.)  This is an area of the world where God is using brave men and women to bring others to Him.  When someone confesses Jesus as their savior, it is necessary for the church has to minister to them in secrecy in order to protect the person.  The church itself operates in the open, but new converts risk their lives if their families become aware of their new faith. 

It's an amazing feeling to be with these believers and fishers of men.  I hope I can take just a small part of their courage with me as I travel home.  Evangelism is typically something outside of most American Christians' "comfort zone," but I can't justify that weakness in myself when these brave brothers and sisters in Christ literally risk their lives every day to bring others to Him. 

After meeting at the school and church, we were off to the orphanage.  More beautiful children in need of love. 

Friends in Pallisa, Uganda


Stickers were a hit in Pallisa!  The children put them all over their faces. 
We played soccer and with some of the toys we brought as a donation.  It didn't really hit me what these children face here daily until someone kicked a soccer ball over the compound wall.  The top of the wall was covered (and I mean every inch was covered) with broken glass.  It was a protection system designed to keep intruders out.  Rudimentary, but effective.  I surely wasn't going to scale the wall.  After we played for awhile, we were blessed to be able to feed the children lunch.  Rice and beans, and the children were very happy to have it.  We then had the opportunity to sit with Pastor Samuel and his wife for a meal.  It was my first taste of goat...and I loved it!  I know there are some farms near where I live that raise goats...now I just need to convince my family that it is yummy! 

I have to say, I loved it here.  I know there is danger here, but I actually felt no fear.  Pastor Samuel is passionate about what he does and has great vision.  I would love to return here and help him in some way to carry out his vision. 

Another blessed day came to an end (after a 3 hour return trip to JinJa).  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment