Saturday, September 29, 2012

Wednesday...a Tough Day

I think I've stated in prior posts how difficult is can be to leave any ministry we visit.  Today was particularly challenging because we have stayed here at Canann's for 4 nights.  We all bonded closely with many of the children and staff here.  I know I feel like they treated us like family.  Maybe that's one of the major differences between here and home.  I never felt like a stranger.  If you are a believer, you are family.  That's one more thing I hope I take home. 

The day started with a shortened version of breakfast as we had much work to do.  Today we were painting in one of the childrens' dorms.  We sanded walls, and got right to it.  The children worked side by side with us which of course made it very enjoyable.  I've never been one to claim I like to paint, but this was good. 

We had to hurry to get cleaned up and packed as we had to travel to Kampala. I hustled over to our bunk area to get cleaned up hoping to have extra time to spend saying my goodbyes.  I was pretty covered in paint, sweat, and dirt and felt the need to shower.  As luck would have it, no water.  Oh, well, God was giving me extra time with the children by helping me to skip the shower. Another blessing in disguise.  I did feel bad for my teammates on the bus, so I kept the window open as much as I could during our trip. 

My friends Arie and Derrick

Arie is not camera shy and loved taking pics of himself! 

It was hard to say goodbye!


We gave lots of hugs and held hands as long as possible before time forced us to load the bus and move on.  I wish my young friends Trevor and Moses could have been there when we left, but they were off working (they are 10 and 8 years old!)  I can't help but feel God put this team here at Canaan's with great purpose.  I feel like I need to return here.  There is so much that can be done here.  These children have very bright minds, a deep love of Jesus, and I feel a bright future.  Pastor Isaac, Mamma Rebecca, and the staff here work every day to demonstrate God's love for the children.  They are candles shining brightly in what could otherwise be a dark place.  I thank God for the children, Pastor Isaac, and everyone here at Canaan's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment