Sunday, October 14, 2012

Thurs/Friday in Uganda

Leaving Canaan's was tough, but our schedule dictated that we move on to Kampala.

We first visited Demali, a beautiful young woman of God, who together with her family has given so much to serve very young children in need.  I don't recall exactly how many infants she cares for (somewhere between 8-12 I think), but they all are in great need.  The youngest in her care was 8 days old.  I remember the situation...the baby's mother had tried to kill him, and he was rescued by a neighbor, taken to the hospital, and eventually ended up with Demali.  Heartbreaking doesn't begin to describe it.  But there is hope for this child.  As I held him and he looked up with those great big brown eyes, I couldn't help but think this child had a great future ahead, because of Demali and the work she and her family does every single day.  As we left, we gave her a financial donation and she broke down in tears.  She operates on very little income, but God continues to provide. 

Return Ministries, operated by Pastor Samuel, was our next stop. The plan was to build two new swingsets.  We had a few options in mind (forgetting we were in Africa).  A few of us thought of the kits you get at the big box stores at home...not gonna happen!  A few of us thought we would build out of a few 4x4's, bolts, rope, chain, etc...also not gonna happen!  When we arrived, there was a stack of pipe, and something that vaguely resembled a welder (big battery in a box with lots of wires coming out of it, definitely not OSHA approved).  Not to discount the skills of my fellow team, but I thought again...not gonna happen.  Luckily, Pastor Samuel suspected we lacked these skills, and brought in some help.  He introduced the lead welder as a Muslim man and promptly told us to "drop the Gospel" on him every chance we had!  Pastor Samuel rocks!  The building of the swingsets went slowly, but by the end of the day, at least the frame was built.  I have to admit spending more time playing with kids than working on the swing.  I know what skills I have, and thought that was likely the better use of my time.  I met Irene, Praise, and Isaac, and we spent the day laughing and playing.

Irene(left), and Praise

Isaac and me


We returned to Return Ministries the next morning with time to spend with the kids and help feed them lunch (see pic below). 

Lunch at Return Ministries in Kampala, Uganda
It was one of the more difficult departures.  I had really connected with Isaac, Irene, and Praise.  Praise wouldn't let go.  It was very tearful for all of us.  It felt like I had known them for a long time, rather than just 2 days.  It still hurts to think about it.  I look at the pictures and miss them.  I know God connected us, and continues to connect us, and there is peace in that.  May God bless the children at Return Ministries, Pastor Samuel, his family, and all his staff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment