Monday, October 15, 2012

Where to from here?

I feel so blessed to have been invited to be part of the Man Up trip to Ethiopia and Uganda.  God provided the means through so many wonderful people to make this happen.  I know it sounds cliche to say, but God used this trip to change me.  Going to Uganda and Ethiopia was far more beneficial for me than it was for the people I thought I was going to serve.  Serving has taken on more meaning.  Not just serving on mission trips, but serving here at home, too.  Serving my wife, my children, my entire family, my church, community, local strangers in need.  It's all a reflection of God's love for us.  Just this past Sunday, Pastor Dick reminded us of the importance of serving others.  Mark 10:45 says "Even the Son of man did not come to be served.  Instead, he came to serve others."  Pastor further explained we are to serve as a slave.  That's powerful.  So the question remains...where to from here?

It's been 7 weeks since I landed back in the USA. I still find myself looking at pictures and becoming emotional. I still carry and thumb through the name tags and prayer requests of the children I met. Thinking about everyone I met creates a feeling that's so easy to dislike (I miss them and feel guilty leaving them behind), yet at the same time I love to think about them and throw prayer darts their way. 

I've had the opportunity on a few occasions to share the trip with people since I came home.  I was able to meet with our missions team at church just last week.  I'm not sure I'm doing an adequate job conveying the emotion, the spiritual connection, or the effect the trip had on those of us who were "on the ground," but I'm sure going to keep trying.  I love to talk about it. 

My family and I are headed to Springfield, MO next weekend for the Man Up movie premiere.  You can learn more about it at  http://manupandgo.com/ .  Many of the team from the trip will be present and I hope we can get planning underway for the next trips. 

The question of "Where to from here?" remains.  I plan to go back.  I hope there is opportunity to co-lead a Man Up trip next year with one of the veteran leaders.  God is doing amazing work in Africa through his loyal disciples.  Men like pastors Isaac, Samuel, Andrew, and Samuel are saving children and families every day by using their strength and talents on loan from God.  Women like Mamma Rebecca and Demali nurture and love children as if they were their own, with a passion and committment only God could give them.  I pray God's plan for me includes returning to Africa to work with my newfound brothers and sisters in Christ, to be a light for His love, and to demonstrate the Father's love to the fatherless.  Once a 127 Warrior, forever a 127 Warrior.  God bless! 
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment